Friday, November 7, 2008

Regarding Proposition 8 in California

I am sad and disappointed about the results of the Prop. 8 ballot measure. I saw so many people at the phone banks doing lots of hard work calling, calling, and calling. This was the most organized and impressive political action I've seen in a long time. At the LGBT Latino Gay Coalition I was surprised and happy to see my neighbors, a very nice couple who are not gay participating in the phone banking activity. While I was outside holding up my No on 8 sign to the passing cars a young lady asked me questions about homosexuality and the Bible. I did the best I could to answer her questions and I recommended she view the documentary FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO, which can be found on the website of the same name. This encounter with this young teenager gave me pause to think about another aspect of this campaign that I forgot about.. I forgot about the religious fervor. People who voted yes probably thought they were doing God's will. And they think that because as Bishop Gene Robinson stated "We [the church] taught them that. The religious conservative church has taught and is still teaching that homosexuality is against God's will. I myself thought I was condemmed to hell by God for being Gay. It has taken me years to undo that message from my heart, mind, and soul. Now I think it's time we find a way to add an educational message and debunk the finite number of passages in th Bible used to condemn homosexuals . Perhaps a flyer with the Bible verses and its' inaccurate interpretations side by side with the accurate interpretations and signed by various leaders in the religious community including the recent Bishop of the Mormon Church who publicly announced his rejection of Prop. 8 which is jeopardizing his position in the mormon church.

I also think it's time for all LGBT people to come out of the closet. Those who are out are doing the work for those who are not out.

Finally, if we tweak our strategy just a little bit i'm sure we will win hearts and minds and WE will be doing God's work of ending the discrimination and hate that is misdirected toward us. Let us remember that we have brothers and sisters around the world who are persecuted for being homosexual. I think about them also and pray that the work done here will liberate them as well. So be it!

Yours truly, vivian varela



See today's press release


ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL CHURCH

132 N. Euclid Avenue, Pasadena, California 91101

Press Advisory: November 6, 2008

Pasadena Church holds press conference to commit to continue to “marry” same sex couples and fight Prop 8.

Rector of All Saints Church, the Rev. Ed Bacon, calls passage of Prop 8 “immoral” and “shameful” and announces that the church will ignore passage of the ballot initiative and will continue to “marry” same sex couples. Announcement accompanied by celebration of wedding cake on the lawn with many same sex couples married since June 17th.

Press Contact: Louise Brooks, Media Coordinator

All Saints Church 626-993-4605

Background:

Pasadena, CA – All Saints Church has blessed the unions of same sex couples since 1991 and has married 43 couples since June 17th, 2008. They lead the progressive faith voices against Prop 8 and will now fight to make sure it does not succeed.

On Sunday, the Rev. Ed Bacon will preach a sermon challenging those who used religion to promote discrimination instead of equality during the Prop 8 battle.

Who:

The Rev, Susan Russell, President, Integrity USA

The Rev. Zelda Kennedy, Member, Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles

Commission on Black Ministry.

The Rev. Abel Lopez, National Episcopal Task Force for Hispanic Ministry

Where: All Saints Church, 132 N. Euclid, Pasadena, CA.

When: Sunday, November 9th, 2008 – CAMERAS WELCOME

Sermon at 11:15am Service

Press Conference at 12:45pm in courtyard

No comments: