Monday, June 1, 2009

Posting Terry Garay's "My Two Cents" for June 1, 2009................

Summer’s almost here, and for some of us that spells outdoor parties by the pool.  Do you know what I like to do with friends that stand by the edge of the water and just stick their toe in?  I like to come from behind and push ‘em in!

 If I could, I would do the same with people who are stuck in the closet – especially the ones who occasionally stick their heads out but then don’t come out all the way.  They drive me bonkers!

 Now, I understand that coming out is a personal process, and that it can be more difficult for some than for others.  As a responsible member of the media, I also don’t believe in outing people, no matter how great the temptation. 

 And, believe me, some individuals make it very tempting with their hypocrisy.  Florida Governor Charlie Crist, for example, as much as I might want to, you will never find me making allegations that he’s gay.  For that you want to see the documentary Outrage. 

But getting back to this gay peek-a-boo game, I have found that some of the worst offenders are celebrities or public figures who make their orientation very obvious for all to see, but who never formally come out.  They, as the Italians say, give me “Agita!”

 A case in point is the outgoing Chairman of the California Democratic Party, Art Torres. Gay rumors have surrounded this man for years, going all the way back to his days in elective office.  Recently, at an event in his honor, Mr. Torres apparently took a moment to thank his longtime partner.  He, however,  never said partner.  What he did was thank Gonzalo Escudero, a man purported to be his longtime partner.  

 Even so, some people have been calling it his coming out moment. 

 I don’t see it that way.  I also can’t help but wonder what the impact on Latinos and others, gay and straight, might be, if a major political player like Art Torres were to announce his homosexuality openly and proudly. 

 Instead, I’m still wondering, is he or isn’t he?

 Jodie Foster did something similar at a high profile event a while back.  During her acceptance speech, she thanked Sydney.  Yes, just Sydney, no last name. 

 Again, some saw it as Jodie Foster’s coming out at long last.  Far from a hero, what I saw was a classic example of somebody putting their toe in the water. 

 She never said I am a lesbian, as Kelly McGillis has been doing a lot lately. She also didn’t hold a press conference to announce that she’s a Gay American, as was done, years ago, by Jim McGreevey, the former governor of New Jersey.  She simply thanked Sydney, a woman purported to be her longtime partner at that point in time.

 While it may be titillating to think that someone famous is gay or lesbian like us, as far I’m concerned, until they come out, the rumors are little more than fodder for Harvey Levin and the gang at TMZgossip! 

 Today happens to be the first day of gay pride month and many of us in the LGBT community are still reeling from last week’s California Supreme Court decision on Prop 8.  Because I’m feeling that people are starting to reach their saturation point, I’m going to leave it to the experts we’ve assembled for tonight’s show to layout the roadmap for the future of the campaign.

 Here’s all I’m going to say on the subject:  If you’re looking for LGBT heroes, you need look no further than the people who’ve been championing our fight for marriage equality here in the state.

 From the attorneys to the plaintiffs to the ordinary folk who marched in West Hollywood, Long Beach, and to the middle in Fresno this weekend, to me, these people eclipse any super hero from the movies because of their courage and dedication.

 Perhaps one of these heroes is you.

 To all of you, I simply want to say thanks.

 I’m Terry Garay and for what it’s worth, that’s my two cents.

 

No comments: