Thursday, August 30, 2007

Last week

It seems silly to repeat the old adage that things happen in three's but sometime they do!Last week 2 significant people died as I mentioned before and then on my way to work at the convenience store, Famima, my friend called me from the mountains she didn't say where, to tell me that Mr. Lee Shelley had passed away and that his funeral was that day. I guess it was important for me to know that. Mr. Lee Shelley was one of the founders of the interdenominational missionary organization (conservative) Christians In Action that I joined just after I turned 18. While I was serving, working in Guatemala and El Salvador waiting for my visa to Colombia where I was originally supposed to go he traveled down with his wife to conduct a Latina American Tour. At the time he was the president of the organization. I traveled with them along with a reluctant senior missionary who did not want to leave Guatemala. We stopped in several countries along the way to Santiago, Chile. One of the things I enjoyed about Mr. Shelly also known as "Papa Lee" was his quiet sense of humor. The one thing I didn't appreciate him was that he would not listen to me when I met with him in December of 1980 when I was making my decision to resign from the organization. He would not take me seriously and I was telling the truth. Of course my truth, yes, but it was necessary to have a clear picture of what really took place in Chile when I served there. In the end one missionary couple apologized to me for the mistakes made and the suffering. this aided in my healing and it took me years to talk about what happened and why I resigned as a missionary. It was a painful memory and I'm glad that Don Hawthorne does his morning seminar about 3 times a year at All Saints Pasadena called Healing of Painful Memories. Yes it's possible I can tell you the story here but not now. I'm very tired. I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Vico said...

Hola amiga,
sube tus impresiones de la Conferencia...si puedes...estaria interesante. Saludos!